Frequently Asked Questions
Our goal is to use straightforward language to describe what we do because we know that financial terms can sometimes be confusing. We hope you find these frequently asked questions useful.
Of course, if you still have any questions, please contact us.
The ControlTM Prepaid Mastercard has been designed to take advantage of the features and services available to Netspend cardholders. This includes access to Netspend Reload Network locations. You get the benefit of a unique product in addition to the experience, features and services of a company that has been around for more than a decade.
Getting a Control Card
Q: How do I get a Control Prepaid Mastercard?
A: Fill out an online order form, and you will get a card in the mail in approximately 5-10 business days. We will not do a credit check and there is no fee to order the card. Residents of the State of Vermont are ineligible to open a Card Account.
Q: How long does it take to receive my Control card in the mail?
A: You should receive your card approximately 5-10 business days after you place your order. If you do not receive your card within 10 business days, call Customer Service at 1-866-753-6324.
Q: What do I do when I receive my Control card in the mail?
A: When your card arrives, read the enclosed materials including the cardholder agreement then activate your Control Card. It's simple to activate it online or over the phone. Follow the printed instructions that arrive with your card. You will be required to provide your name, street address, date of birth and other information to identify you. The bank that issues the card must collect this information in accordance with The USA PATRIOT Act, a Federal law that requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify and record information that identifies each person associated with an account.
Q: How much does it cost to order a Control card?
A: There is no cost to order and activate a Control card. Once you fund the card, you must pay either $5.00 or $7.95 per month. That fee covers all purchase transactions. You may pay other fees based on how you use your card. If you enroll in direct deposit and have at least $500 direct deposited to your Card Account during just one calendar month, the monthly fee is reduced from $7.95 to $5.00. To view the fees and other costs associated with using the card, see the Fee Schedule.
Adding Money to a Control Card (back to top)
Q: How do I add money to my Control Card Account?
A: Choose from the following ways to add money to your Control card:
- Direct Deposit: Direct Deposit is the simple way to add your paycheck or government payments check to your Control Prepaid Mastercard. Learn more. If you already have a Control Card Account click here to get the bank routing number (sometimes referred to as the 'ABA Routing Number') and your card account number. These numbers are necessary to set up Direct Deposit.
- Reload Network Locations: There are more than 130,000 convenient locations in the U.S. where you can add money to your Control Card Account using the Netspend Reload Network. Our Reload Center locator helps you find the lowest-cost locations nearest to you.(Reload fee may apply)
- Bank Transfers: Add money from any qualifying U.S.-issued bank account. If you have a checking or savings account or a bank debit card, use it to add money to your Control Card Account. Login to learn more. (Fees may apply.)
- PayPal®: Use PayPal to transfer funds from your PayPal account to your Control Prepaid Mastercard.1 Login to learn more.
- Transfer Money Between Control Card Accounts and other Netspend Card Accounts: It's simple to transfer money from one Control Card Account to another. And because your card is part of the Netspend family, you can also transfer money to any other Netspend card account at no-cost. Login to learn more.
- Tax Refunds: When filing electronically, select Direct Deposit or tell your tax preparer that you would like to direct deposit your tax refund to your Control Card Account. Simply provide the bank routing number (sometimes referred to as the 'ABA Routing Number') and your card account number. Login to get the bank routing number and your card account number .
Q: How do I enroll in no-cost Direct Deposit?
A: Enrolling in Direct Deposit is simple.
- Paychecks: All or part of your paycheck can be directly deposited to your Control Card Account. You will need to provide your employer the bank routing number (sometimes referred to as the 'ABA Routing Number') and your card account number. Login to get the bank routing number and your card account number.
- Tax Refunds: Get Federal and State tax refunds faster than you would by mail. Just select Direct Deposit as your refund method through your tax software or when paper filing and enter your account and routing number; or tell your tax preparer you want to use Direct Deposit for the refund. Login to get the bank routing number and your card account number.
Q: How do I find the routing number and my card account number to enroll in direct deposit?
A: You can find the routing number and your card account number in a number of ways.
- Login to your Online Account Center. From the main menu, select "Add/Manage Money" and then "Direct Deposit." The information required to sign up for Direct Deposit will appear in the grey box on the right side of the screen or click here.
- If you enrolled in Anytime AlertsTM, text DIRECT to 22622. Customer Service will text you the routing number and account number.
- Call 1-866-753-6324 and select the "Other Services" option to get your Direct Deposit information.
If you don't have a Control card and would like to sign up for direct deposit, your first step is to order a Control card. When you receive the card in the mail, it comes with Direct Deposit enrollment instructions, including how to get the routing and account numbers.
Q: Which government payments can I have direct deposited into my Control Card Account?
A: They are:
- Social Security payments
- Pension and other regular payments
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Social Security Disability Act (SSDI)
- Veterans Administration Compensation and Pension
- Railroad Retirement Benefits (RRB)
- Defense Finance and Accounting Service Payments (DFAS)
- State unemployment benefits (varies by state)
Q: When will my direct deposit funds be available?
A: The Control Prepaid Mastercard gives you access to your money as soon as the funds are electronically deposited to your Card Account - that's up to 2 days faster than you'd expect. Your Card Account must be active (that is, a purchase, load, or cash withdrawal has occurred, or a balance inquiry fee was incurred over the preceding 90-day period) and in good standing in order for electronic direct deposits to be credited. Processing of a direct deposit requires that the name associated with the direct deposit (the payee) be the same as the name associated with the Card Account. Card load limits apply. Faster access to funds is based on comparison of traditional banking policies versus electronic direct deposit.
Q: How can I find the lowest-cost reload location nearest to me?
A: Some locations may not charge a fee, but others may. Load fees vary from zero to $4.95. Find the lowest-cost Netspend Reload Network location nearest to you. Text any zip code to 22622 and we'll text the nearest reload location back to you. (Data rates may apply.)
Using Your Control Card (back to top)
Q: How do I check my account balance?
A: Ways to check your balance at no-cost!
- Login to your Online Account Center, where you can see your balance, your deposits and transaction history.
- Sign up for Anytime AlertsTM to receive a text message including your Control Card Account balance, after every transaction. After you've signed up for Anytime Alerts, text the letters "BAL" to 22622 anytime, and your account balance will be sent to your mobile phone. (Text message fees may apply. Check with your mobile provider.)
- If you have qualified for a Control Card Account Upgrade, call our toll-free number 1-866-753-6324 (fee is waived.)
Ways to check your balance for a $0.50 fee
- Call our toll-free number 1-866-753-6324. Fee applies only if you have not qualified for a Control Card Account Upgrade.
- Make an inquiry at a participating ATM located in the U.S.
Q: What can I buy with my Control card?
A: With a Control Prepaid Mastercard, you can make purchases at stores, over the phone and online. Use the card anywhere Debit Mastercard is accepted. You can also pay bills, rent and other necessities.
Q: What is the maximum amount I can spend each day?
A: To comply with federal regulations, there are limits affecting how much money can be loaded, withdrawn and spent by each cardholder.
The maximum amount you can spend or withdraw at a time varies by type of transaction. Use this chart to determine the limits.
Individual Deposit, Load, or Transfer Transactions
Not to exceed $4,999.99
Maximum Deposit, Load, or Transfer Transaction
Not to exceed $7,500 in 24 hours
$4,999.99 every 24 hours
Over-the-Counter Cash Withdrawals
$4,999.99 every 24 hours
ATM Cash Withdrawals
$325.00 per withdrawal, $940.00 per day, Up to 6 per 24 hours
There is also a $15,000 maximum account balance across all accounts you have with Control Prepaid Mastercard, Netspend and other Netspend programs.
Q: Can I use my card at ATMs?
A: You can use your card to withdraw cash at virtually any ATM. You will be charged a fee of $2.50 for this convenience (see the Cardholder Agreement for details). The owner of the ATM may also charge a fee. (ATM cash withdrawals made outside the U.S. are subject to foreign transaction fees – see the Cardholder Agreement for details.)
Q: Can I avoid paying ATM fees?
A: Yes you can! When making purchases at many retailers, such as grocery stores, select "DEBIT" and enter your PIN to get cash back.
Q: What do I do if my card is lost or stolen?
A: Immediately call Customer Service at our toll-free number, 1-866-753-6324. Or, login to your Online Account Center to report your Control card as lost or stolen. From the main menu, select "My Account," "My Prepaid Cards" and then "Report Card Lost/Stolen". You will also be able to order a new card.
Q: I need to pay a bill immediately. What are my options?
A: The way to pay a bill immediately is to call your biller and pay over the phone using your Control card number if that option is available. The Control Prepaid Mastercard also offers the MoneyGram® ExpressPayment® Service for a fee. Login to your Online Account Center for more details.
Q: I need to transfer money to someone immediately. What are my options?
A: You can transfer money from your card to family members or friends who also have a Control card or another Netspend card. The two most popular ways to do this are using your Online Account Center or by text message. Login to your Online Account Center to learn more.
Q: How do I transfer money to my Netspend Savings account?
A: Login to your Online Account Center to transfer money between your Control Card Account and your Netspend Savings Account.
Q: Can I get a loan or a payday advance with my Control Prepaid Mastercard?
A: No. Loans or payday advance loans are not available. However, you can always deposit loan proceeds, in the form of cash that you received from other companies into your Control Card Account.
Q: How do I dispute a charge from a merchant?
A: Call Customer Service at our toll-free number 1-866-753-6324 or file a dispute online.
- Login to your Online Account Center to get started.
- From the main menu, select "Help" and then "File a Dispute" to start the dispute process.
- You will need your PIN to access this online service.
Q: How do I close my Control Card Account?
A: You can close your account the following ways:
- Withdraw your money at an ATM.
- Request your money be sent to you via check (mailed within 20 business days). There is a $5.95 fee for sending you a check (see the Cardholder Agreement for more information). To request a check, call us at 1-866-753-6324, or login to your Online Account Center to close your account.